I Will Honour Christmas In My Heart

I will honour Christmas in my heart,
and try to keep it all the year.
I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future.
The Spirits of all Three shall strive within me.
I will not shut out the lessons that they teach!

~ Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol

Friday, January 12, 2018

Where DO I Put It All?, Part 1, Under the Stairs

 Yes, I am still posting here on my Christmas Blog even though Christmas is over.......

Usually, I do not even start to take down Christmas until after the Epiphany of Feast of 3 Kings which is recognized by the Catholic church as the official end of the Christmas Season.
I thought that I would get a head start this year because I was off a few days before Epiphany, but I got knocked on my butt by a terrible head cold and then we had to attend the funeral of a dear friend.

I am still fighting this cold and fever thing a week later......

I know in Blogland, everything moves at the Speed of Light and many of you have already packed away Christmas but I do still work 3 days one week and 4 days the other week of a 2 week pay period.

And I work night shift so that makes it a whole different Ball Game!!

I decided that I would do a Series on Where DO I Really Put It all? because I am asked that so often!!!

As I take down all of my Christmas Decorations, I will be showing you how I store things and where I store everything..........

And I will be sharing these posts over a period of time along with How I Plan for Christmas using a Christmas Planner......

But first, I want to Thank Angelina, over at Petite Haus, for featuring my post, An Evening Christmas Tour, Christmas Home Tour, from last week's Thursday's Favorite Things Party!!
Thanks so much, Angelina and also thanks for your kind words!!

But for today, we are going to start this series with one area in our townhouse that is a "Secret Space" that many people ( my Neighbors) ignore as storage......
This is the closet in our downstairs hall way where we keep all our outerwear.........
But if you push all the coats aside, this is revealed.............
Do you see it.........
A trap door!!!!!!
I do not know what else to call it other than a trap door!!
This door leads to a storage area under our stairs!!!

We do not have a basement so this is where our hot water heater is..........
But if you look to the left, under the stairs.........
There is all this space for storage!!!!
I do have to explain about the pipes.........
These are the pipes into my house.

Since we do not have basements, the builder originally put the pipes underground, unde the concrete slab that the townhouses were built on.

Over the years, with the ground settling, almost all of our pipes burst underground, requiring plumbers to jack hammer through the concrete floor in our Living Rooms to access the pipes!!!!!

I do not even want to tell you what a nightmare that was even though in my style of townhouse, the pipes were right in front of our stairs.

In the other styles, they ran right across the Living Room!!

One plumber came up with the genius idea of bringing the pipes up into the house by the front door, disguising them by placing a hollow electric heating  basement element over them until they came out in this storage area.

This was done in most of the 72 townhouses in our development over 30 years ago and no one has ever had their pipes burst again!!

Knock on wood........
 Okay, so what Do I store in this area???

Quite a lot actually!!
Yep!!

All that is stored under my stairs!!!

You may remember my Living Room Tree.......
All the decorations on this Tree and the Village underneath are stored in the space under the stairs......

The Village is stored in these tubs.......
I also put a few of the larger ornaments for the Tree in this tub......
Most of the Lemax houses are stored in their original boxes but a few are not Lemax and did not come in boxes so I have them wrapped in a foam like material.......
This is one of the mountain pieces and I have also stored most of the bottle brush trees used in the village in this box.......
So the Village is stored in 2 large tubs........
1 small tub.....
And this box.......
I also store the Carolers that grace the top of our TV Entertainment Center under the stairs........
They are very heavy when boxed up so to lug them upstairs and then up the attic stairs would be quite a chore and hard on our backs so it is easier to store them under the stairs........
This is a set from Sam's Club that I cherish........
This company made many beautiful sets for Christmas but unfortunately, is no longer in business.......

Now let's move on to the decorations on the Tree.........

I take everything off the Tree in the reverse order of how I decorated the Tree......

I have to just mention that I was actually ask these 2 questions by guests that visited our house this Season

1: Do you take everything off the Tree when you store it?

2. Do you put the ornaments back in the same spot on the Tree every year?

Needless, to say, those questions rendered me speechless which does not happen too often!!

I can not even imagine trying to put the ornaments back in the same place on the Tree every year.......

A few years ago, Joe bought these smaller tubs on Clearance .....
 These make it easier for us to carry as they are not too heavy when packed up...

I pack the Candle ornaments in 2 shoe boxes......
I wrap them in tissue paper......
This is one of 2 tubs that I made into ornament tubs a few years ago........

Joe bought a few ornament tubs and there were some extra dividers in them so I repurposed them to use in other tubs........

I put some of the larger ornaments in the bottom of this tub.......
I them placed a layer of bubble wrap over them and put in the boxes containing the Candle ornaments.....
Next, I put in bags containing the gold florals and beaded garlands used on the Tree......
And the Bow used as the Topper.....
The rest of the ornaments were placed in the larger tub......
You can see that I do place several ornaments in each chubby hole made by the dividers.....
And some around the edges......

The second level......
And the third level of dividers I made myself out of a card board box.....
All of the red and green glitter balls go in last because they are the first ornaments that go on the Tree after the beaded garland in put on......
This leaves me enough room to place the florals and the angel that graced the top of the Tree....
Each tub is labeled on all 4 sides and on the lid....
So 2 tubs contain all the decoration from the Living Room Tree......
Now the Tree is stripped down to the lights and is ready to be decorated for Valentine's Day......
Some of the heaviest decorations are in our Kitchen........

So the majority of the Kitchen decorations which consist of ceramics, are also stored under the stairs.....
I have labeled each of these small tubs according to where the decorations that it holds are usually displayed....
These tubs are easier to move since they contain some heavy ceramics.....
5 tubs filled with Kitchen decorations.......
Now let's see how everything fits under the stairs.......
Joe has it down to a Science.......
2 small tubs in first.......
Then 2 more on top .....
And the box of Carolers, all fitting nicely under the steps......
 The box containing the Mountain piece from the village was placed on the side of the Caroler box.......

Next, the 2 larger tubs go in.......
And then the one small tub from the Village......
Amazing what you can store in this "Secret Space", isn't it??????
Sad to say that so many of my neighbors do not use this space.....

The trap door is put back in place.......
The coats were put back in......
And everything will stay safely stored away until next Christmas......
 I laugh when I think that I used to be able to store ALL of my Christmas decorations in this space.....

I do still have a few more tubs for my Kitchen decorations stored up the attic which by the way is floored and I have pull down stairs to access.....

I will be sharing that with you in the next installment of my series, "Where DO I Really Put It All?

I hoped you enjoyed the first part of this Series and I hope you were able to take something away that you could use in your own home......

So I hope you will come by and visit  again!!

And thanks to those who took the time out of their busy day to spend a little bit of time with me!!

If you do not have a blog, PLEASE  give me some way to reply to your comment, maybe by including your email in your comment.  If I can not find a way to reach you, I will reply on the post where you commented so please check back......

Hugs,
Debbie
  I am linking up to these parties:

Monthly Organization Party- March

 SATURDAY
 Pink Saturday-Anything Goes!!
Best of the Weekend Party
 Simple Saturdays Blog Hop
 Saturday Sparks
Share It One More Time Inspiration Party

SUNDAY
Snickerdoodle Sunday
Bouquet of Talent Linky Party
 Sundays at Home
 Silver Pennies Sunday
 Happiness is Homemade Linky Party
Nifty Thrifty Sunday

 MONDAY 
Inspire Me Monday
Inspiration Mondays
 Dishing It and Digging It Link Party
Busy Monday
What'd You Do This Weekend?
Cooking and Crafting with J & J
Metamorphosis Monday
 Lou Lou Girl's Linky Party
Make It Pretty Monday

 TUESDAY
Show and Share Party
 Tuesdays At Our Home
Inspire Me Tuesdays
Reader Tip Tuesday Party
Keep in Touch Party

Ducks in a Row Wonderful Wednesdays Blog Hop
Wow Us Wednesday
Sizzle into Summer Party
Talk of the Town Party
Party in Your PJ's
Dream Create Inspire Link
 Dagmar's Home Linky Party 
 Waste Not Wednesday

THURSDAY
Home and Garden Party Thursday
 Share Your Cup Thursday
Share Your Style Thursday Link Up Party
Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop 
  Inspired Creations Linky Party
Vintage Charm
 Grace at Home Party
Create and Celebrate Blog Party

FRIDAY
Friday Features Linky Party
 Funtastic Friday
 Friday Favorites
 Feathered Nest Friday
 Home Matters Linky Party
 What To Do Weekends
  Flaunt It Fridays
 Sweet Inspirations Link Party
    Awesome Life Friday


Please take some time to visit these terrific hosts and all those joining in on the fun!

20 comments:

  1. We also have a storage just like that under our stairs. All of my decorations fit in here if I'm very organized and use every inch. Just got it all put away yesterday, although I did order a new tree on Ebay that will have to be squeezed in when it arrives.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie, we live in an older home so storage space is very limited. I store most of my Christmas things in a guest room closet, and another storage closet off the upstairs sunporch. All are full, so I need to get creative if I add anything else. I also have a floored in attic where all my other holiday tubs resie along with shelving that holds dishes. Thanks for sharing your storage solutions. You have it down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie, That's exactly where we store all of our Christmas. We have our main level and then our lower walkout level. Under our stairs in located in our utility room. We've got nails and hooks into the wall under the stairs to also hold wreaths and a few items in bags. We have no storage in our attic and it's too cold to store in the garage. I'm at the point where if I buy more, I need to get rid of some items.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your clever storage solutions
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course I remember your beautiful Christmas tree, Debbie. Thank you for the inspiration you give us. I love your storage solutions and the beautiful boxes you use. Happy New Year, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a place just like that under the steps . I want a storage shed just for decorations and maybe will yet get one as it's getting too hard going up in the attic. I didn't put out as much this year, but still took as long taking the stuff down. We always waited till epiphany to take ours down as mom always did it that way. We went to Methodist church growing up. I am not as organized as you at all but I did purchase clear bins and that will help. Before ya know it, we will be taking it out again, God willing. betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. This makes my organizing-heart happy :) Great job
    #boquetoftalent
    Katelynn, hampersandhiccups.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found it interesting reading about your problems with pipes. We own an older townhouse, built without a basement. Our pipes were all in concrete and one by one all the units were bursting their pipes. Our pipes were rerouted through our kitchen walls and the ceiling (first level) We also have pipes running through the ceiling of the carport to the upstairs bathroom. In the winter we have to plug in heat tapes to keep our pipes from freezing.
    *Smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I should move all the coats in my closet and see if there is a trap door back there! The layout is somewhat the same. Working under the philosophy that I will fill up what space I have, maybe I shouldn't, but what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a great space for storing! I have a huge attic and a basement in my new home. It is a blessing to have that much storage! Have a lovely weekend! Drop by if you can!

    Hugs,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a similar space accessed in the basement with a large closet door for under-the-stairs storage. All my Christmas goes in there, just like you starting in the back with smaller boxes and working towards the door with larger items. The tree goes in last, I leave the lights on it and cover it with a plastic bag to keep it dust free until next year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing this with Party in Your PJs! I don't decorate nearly as much as you do, but I do keep a year round tree,which leads to my husband frequently running to the storage to get the right bins for the switch out (good thing he enjoys the result...lol). We waited til epiphany to switch from Christmas to winter, too - an some hearts will be added to the snowflakes on Feb 1. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Debbie, it really is amazing how much you can store in an area if you do it right! And girl, you do it right! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah Debbie, I hope you're feeling much better. Love the hidey hole under the stairs, I wish we had one like that. If I may ask my friend how long does it take you to take all the trees down?

    ReplyDelete
  15. The space under the stairs in the basement are often under-utilized. What a great way to maximize your storage space. I also loved the cardboard dividers within the container! So, so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You've done a wonderful job of organizing all of your Christmas decor! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love under the stair storage. I gave away most of my daughter's toys. (She didn't want them.) Now almost all of our Christmas decor fits under our stairs. I was thrilled with this. You have it down to a science. I'm sorry your neighbors are taking advantage of theirs. Thanks for linking with Keep In Touch.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was really fascinated and enjoyed reading this post, Debbie! You could write a book about organization! I keep telling my hubby that there's space under the stairs for storage and that we should hire someone to cut a door and finish off the area. But I think I've fallen on deaf ears. I'm going to show him your post and maybe he'll get the message!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Debbie, I've said it before and I'll say it again: you're amazing! I love that you're sharing us where you store your decorations. Thank you for sharing your good ideas. Putting things into bins according to where they're used in the house makes great sense!

    Thank you so much for joining the Grace at Home party at Imparting Grace. I'm featuring you this week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's funny because I have wondered where on earth you keep it all when I've seen your lovely seasonal decorating in the past.
    I have homemade dividers for glass baubles too, but ours are in a couple of shoe boxes. We don't have anything like as many as you though!
    Your trap door under stair space is just perfect for all this and you really do organise it to perfection!

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear your thoughts!
However if you are a vendor and insist upon leaving a comment with a link back to a website, You have forced me to now moderate ALL comments so do NOT even try it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails